"Girls on the Run" of Coastal Carolina (New Hanover, Pender, Brunswick and Onslow Counties) is a program for girls in 3rd through 5th grade. This 10 week program is dedicated to helping girls climb out the "girl box". "Girls on the Run" uses a 20 lesson curriculum designed to promote good choices for a lifetime of self respect and healthy living. Through the power of running, interactive activities and discussions, participants learn how to celebrate being a girl!
Goals for each girl include:
1. Complete a 5k run/walk event
2. Have a stronger sense of identity
3. Learn the advantages of peer group support
4. Learn to stand up for herself in a healthy manner
5. Have an improved body image
6. Participate in a community project